Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sadness

I said that "This is a blog dedicated to my discoveries (good and not) in developing a Bird Sanctuary...", and so far there have been only good discoveries. But, today, I have a 'not good' discovery to journal.
On two separate days this week, I have found a little pinesiskin dead on the ground - one right under the feeders and the other about two feet away.
I've been perplexed and have studied the situation - trying to figure out what is happening.
I can only think they had flown into our dining room window. The feeders, situated right in front of the kitchen window, are 5 feet from it. This is within the 'safe' range recommended by the lady at WildBirds Unlimited. But, the dining room window is set back another 4 feet or so...
I will be taking measures to correct hazard. Meanwhile, I'm sure you know how I feel.
On a happier note, tho', the birds have just about devoured all of that seed wreath that has received so much attention! I am amazed!

8 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hmmm Diane... I'm sorry about your little Pine Siskins. My feeders are very close to our sliding glass door--but so far, none of our birds have flown into the window/door. Put up some little 'dingle dangles' on the door/window --on the inside.. Anything to distract them from flying that direction I guess would help.

Sorry!!!
Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Too bad.That is not what we as birders like to see,but,I'm sure in the end there will be more happy times than sad.
New Year Blessings to you,Ruth

Kim said...

I am so sorry to hear this. My windows have busy curtains on the top of them so I have not had that problem (knocking on wood).

I did hava an injured junco at my station today and I couldn't grab him. Sadly I think he will die tonight in the picker bushes where he is hiding from me. It is very sad indeed to see injured or dead birds in your yard. :o(

Jayne said...

Diane, you can get some decals called FeatherGuards which would help. I know it's disconcerting. I once had a baby Downy woodpecker hit mine and I felt horrible.

Leedra said...

We have a sunroom, so it has happened, but only twice in the last year. Not twice in a short time frame. Lost one Eastern Bluebird and one Kingbird. Last year a hummingbird hit it, but came out of his daze (after about 15 minutes) and flew off.

Diane said...

Kallen, I read about your little 'patient'. Hugs to you.
Betsy & Jayne - thank you for the ideas - I will try them!
Thank you all for your sweet comments - I feel surrounded by kindness.
Blessings to you and yours in 2009!

spookydragonfly said...

Hi Diane...So sorry to hear this news, I would feel just like you. Are you sure that there may not be a stray or neighbors' cat involved? I have five outdoor cats, and the birds that I have seen them take down, have no visible signs of..well, the outcome. I hope that you have many more good experiences to make you smile...Happy New Year!

Diane said...

Thank you dragonfly :) There are quite a few critters in the area, 'tis true! Jayne was drawing my attention to the possibility of it being conjunctivitis - yuck!