Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bird Sanctuary Dream Coming True!

The first thing I did to begin my "Bird Sanctuary Dream Coming True" was to go to the local Wild Birds Unlimited Store to ask some questions about attracting birds. I learned very quickly that 'birding' is not an inexpensive hobby! WOW! The owner, Christi, was there and after I wandered around looking at everything carefully - trying not to look like a novice, I finally asked for help! She was very sweet and only too happy to answer all my questions which revealed my ignorance totally. (That's ok, I'd rather have the questions answered than to keep my ignorance!) After hearing about feeders, cages, seed, and the fact that there is nothing to be done about the obnoxious Starlings, I wandered around some more trying to decide how I would get started in this venture. I already own two 'Shepherd's Hooks' for hanging flower baskets or bird feeders on, and I have two wooden feeders plus a 'nugget' (?) that holds sunflower seeds in the shell. So, I decided to use what I had in the way of equipment and try a new seed that Christi recommended. So...here's what I did today. Rebekah come out and help me 'photo journal' my dream coming true.

BIRD SANCTUARY DREAM COMING TRUE - PHASE 1

Here is a 'BEFORE' photo. This is the where it all began ;)
First thing was to move the Shepherd's Hooks to within 6ft of the house. If the birds get frightened and try to fly away, they can't get up enough speed to hurt themselves if they fly against the window pane. I am measuring the distance with my span - exactly 5 feet! ;) Then I am moved the Hooks! I impressed myself! Next I filled the old feeders (which I had scrubbed and dried in the oven a couple of days ago)with new seed. This is a 'NO MESS' mix of 100% seed - no shells and no sprouting! Birds eat at the feeders and the ground feeding birds eat what gets scattered! Sounds great to me!
After the feeders were filled, I put them out on the hooks with a 'nugget' of black oil sunflower seeds (which is supposed to be very popular among the bird connoisseurs, too) and a treat I bought - a Cranberry Wreath - a formed wreath of all kinds of yummy seeds! I covered that with what is actually a Squirrel Baffle, but I am using it to keep the rain off the wreath. I was very happy with the way it turned out ;)
And this is the view from my kitchen window! I know it probably doesn't seem like much, but it is a start and I am VERY happy with it. Now, let's see how long it takes for little birdies to come along and get excited too!

No comments: