Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Seen with Birder's Eyes


Cape Disappointment Lighthouse, Washington

Three years ago, I was in Long Beach, Wa. and was doing some sight-seeing around the area. I forgot about these photos until today when I saw them on the screen saver of the family's computer.
When I took the photos, I wasn't a 'Birder'. I liked birds, was interested in them, but just thought it was cool to watch them dive from high in the air without thought of trying to identify them.
As you probably know, you can't be a 'Birder' for long when 'indentification' becomes a passion! So, today, 3 years later, looking at these photos with 'Birder's eyes', my automatic response was, "WHAT ARE THOSE BIRDS???"
I looked them up in the Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America, an excellent resource, and found out that they are Brown Pelicans.
I still remember standing there, enchanted at the sight of these birds flying and diving into the water. Hmmm... makes me want to go back and see it all over again.

(You can click the images to view enlarged photo)

5 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Those are excellent pictures.What a sight this must have been!
Blessings,Ruth

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

These are neat pictures. Isn't it interesting to go back and look at old pictures with different eyes?

Diane said...

Thank you Ruth :) Good to see you, again! These pictures were some of the first I'd taken when my little digital was still very new to me!

And, yes, Lynne - it is fun! I had no idea what I was doing and the pictures still turned out ok :) Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Dear friend, iPhone has birders applications! :)

Jenna said...

Great photos! I'm from Newfoundland...we've got lots of chances for bird watching! http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/BirdWatching/Default.aspx